ME. DEGREE EXAMINATION JANUARY 2012.
ED 9258: INDUSTRIAL ROBOTICS AND EXPERT SYSTEMS
(Common to M.E. Computer Aided Design)
Time : Three hours Maximum: 100 marks
Answer ALL questions.
PART A – (10 X 2 = 20 marks)
1. State the law of robotics.
2. Distinguish between forward and reverse kinematics.
3. What is the effect of acceleration on torque of drives in robot?
4. What is stripping device?
5. What are the desirable features of a sensor?
6. Define: Morphology.
7. What is robot’s tracking window?
8. Name the three occasions when humans are close to the machine to be exposed to danger.
9. Define: Joint & Straight line interpolation.
10. What are the types of knowledge required for problem representation in AI?
PART B — (5 X 16=80 marks)
11. a) (i) With suitable illustrations, describe the basic motions of robot. (8)
(ii) How can robots be controlled? Explain briefly. (8)
(b) (1) Describe the computation of kinematic parameters using DH algorithm. (8)
(ii) Explain the steps involved in trajectory planning. (8)
12. (a) With suitable sketches, explain the operation of motor which provides the output in the form of discrete angular motion increments.
(b) (i) Discuss on the applications of “tools” as robots end effectors. (8)
(ii) List and explain the factors to be considered in the selection and design of grippers. (8)
13. (a) (i) Describe with neat sketches the principle of working of wrist sensors. (10)
(ii) How are the Joint forces sensed by sensors? Explain. (6)
(b) (i) Describe in detail about the image process analysis. (8)
(ii) Explain briefly the machine vision applications by industry. (8)
14. (a) (i) With suitable example, explain the various arrangements of robot work cells. (10)
(ii) Describe three important situations of operator interface in work cell control. (6)
(b) (i) What are the ten elements in RTM and explain the four major groups in detail. (10)
(ii) Write short notes on APAS. (6)
15. (a) (i) Describe the ways to record the robot’s desired motion path into the controller memory. (10)
(ii) Explain the goals of Al research. (6)
(b) Describe three different search techniques in Artificial intelligence.